Barb was first elected to the Minneapolis City Council in 1997 to represent the Fourth Ward in the northwest corner of Minneapolis. She has served as President of the Minneapolis City Council since January of 2006. Barb serves on the Public Safety & Health, Executive and Zoning & Planning committees of the City Council.
She also serves on the Board of Estimate and Taxation, MEET Minneapolis, and the Mississippi Riverfront Partnership.
Barb is a registered nurse. Her background in health has spurred her support for health sector growth in Minneapolis. She has a strong interest in parks due to her 18 years of service on the Metropolitan Parks & Open Space Commission. She also served on the Mississippi National River & Recreation Area Commission, appointed by the Secretary of the Interior. Barb was a founding member of the Victory Neighborhood Association (VINA) and was the Chair from 1994-1997. She is a former Girl Scout leader and community volunteer.
Barb and her husband Duane, an attorney, have 3 adult daughters and 4 grandchildren.
Barb has been endorsed by the following organizations:
- American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
- DFL African American Caucus
- Minneapolis Building and Construction Trades Council
- Minneapolis DFL Party
- Minneapolis Firefighters Local 82
- Minneapolis Police Officers Federation
- Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation
- Stonewall DFL
- Minneapolis Association of Area Realtors
- Minnesota Women’s Political Caucus
- Minneapolis Branch 9 of the National Association of Letter Carriers
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council 82
- Star Tribune http://m.startribune.com/?id=229328221